School of Sewing with Ms Dottie
4 Class series – 6/8, 6/15, 6/29, 7/6
Ms Dottie will be here to teach you the basics of how to sew using the book School of Sewing: Learn it. Teach it. Sew Together. 12 Beginner Projects.
This book is an engaging, detailed lesson plan designed to guide you along our sewing journey. We begin with easy-to-follow instructions for how to use a sewing machine and advice on buying fabric and tools and then progress through 3 projects - one three-hour lesson a week, perfect for friends to learn together. You will be proud to show off or gift these trendy projects, which include a pillowcase, a tote bag and a zippered pouch. We’ll take it nice and slow and plan to introduce you to a wonderful new hobby!
• Sewing machine types, recommendations and how to shop for the machine of your dreams.
• Fabric selection how to navigate the fabric store, including interfacing, notions and fabric types.
• Essential sewing supplies to get you started with the right gear
• How to trouble shoot problems when they occur.
• How to sew 3 beginner projects, using step-by-step instructions and photos
FEE: $120 SKILLS: Very Beginner. Ages 12 & up
Supplies Class #1:
• Book School of Sewing: Learn it. Teach it. Sew Together. 12 Beginner Projects. - required
• Sewing machine, recently cleaned and in good working order
• Manual and all accessories for the machine including power cord, foot pedal and appropriate bobbins
• Your personal sewing kit – which should include:
o Rotary Cutter
o 24” X 36” Rotary Cutting Mat
o 6.5”x 24.5” cutting ruler
o Spool of good quality thread – any color is fine for the first class
o Straight Pins
o Seam Ripper
o Fabric marking pen or pencil
For class #1 bring your machine and everything that comes with it. You will also discuss other tools, fabric and supplies that will be needed for the next classes.